Monday, March 28, 2011

More on Module # 4

One way that I plan to implement the research in my classroom is through questioning the author. I ask students what do you think this chapter will be about by reading the title of the chapter. Another way I implemented research in my classroom was that I had students read White Fang at home and then we read the story orally in class. The students came up with questions from the story and then they acted out the parts as they answered the questions. They loved this activity and said they wanted to do it again. I plan on having them act out another story in the future to build their motivation and love for reading. The changes I would make in a classroom is to allow more time for students to make up their questions. Another change would be give the students the opportunity to pick a story from their history book and generate questions they felt should have been answered from the text. One of the before stragies I used was before the students read I had them fill out a KWL chart. I had students write what they thought the story was going to be about in their journal, as I wrote the answers on the board. I also had them write what they wanted to learn. I told students that we would fill out the What they wanted to learn after we discussed the text in class. The effects of this strategy gave the students a chance to think about what they thought the story was going to be about. It also gave them an opportunity to here what other people thought the story was going to be about. An after stragy I used in my classroom was, After students read the text at home we reread the text in class. The effects of this strategy was to give students a chance to here fluent reading. It also helped some of the students gain word recognition through reading the text a second time.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the acting out of the lesson in class. That is so motivating and physical.

    I hope that you continue reading to the students and preparing the students for reading at home. I hope you give them a g.o. while they are reading at home so they have something to use in class for the activity for comprehension.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.