Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Module 2 Phonogical Awareness and Phonics

One way to implement research in my classroom is through Quick-Writes. Students will write a paragraph describing what they liked best from the book they read at home. After students have written down their paragraphs, they will go back and underline the phoneme that we are working with. Another way I have used Quick-writes and changed how I teach in the classroom is, I have a sentence written on the board. While students are writing, I will be taking roll or lunch count. When I used Quick-Writes in my classroom it gave me the opportunity to take lunch count and attendance in a quiet atmosphere. It also allowed me to determine if students knew the phoneme that we were working with, when I had them underline them in the paragraph they wrote. It was a helpful tool to use in my classroom. The fourth thing I learned from the readings was from the article "Phonemic Awareness" (2006), it states that "rime-based instruction is used in a number of successful reading programs. "For example, when wheat is used in a sentence, such as The little red hen gathered the wheat; a student might be taught to compare it to meat and say, "If m-e-a-t is meat then this is wheat" (p.623). Then students would use wheat in the sentence to see if it made sense. In instruction worked well in my classroom to teach patterns of letters through sounding out words and showing similarities between words.

1 comment:

  1. I also say UGH...I had written this comment and then a burp came on my computer and I lost it.

    I like the way that meat can tell a student how to spell wheat. We need to look more at word families and then the students will be more a risk taker in spelling. Right now the student always asks how to spell something and it interrupts the writing or the reading.

    I think writing should be a part of every lesson especially at the end. Writing should show what the students has learned during the lesson. The students should have a choice of the format, the audience, and the purpopse.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.