Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Module 2 Phonogical Awareness and Phonics
Quick-Writes was the first thing I used in my classroom from reading these chapters. The second thing I used in my classroom is when I teach phonics it should be directly usable in children's reading. I had students take home books that had the phonics words that we worked on that day to read to parents. Working on this activity at home will improve parent involvement. After students have written Quick-Writes, which is used as a before strategy. I had them pull out their journals and put words from the blooming verb list that Dr. Swanson put on an e-mail for us to use. I used this strategy to help students build their vocabulary and help them to learn new verbs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When I was in Australia I saw a great resource for words. The words of the week (there were only six words) were listed in a booklet format and
ReplyDeleteword_!__word !_word_ !
! ! !
As the child reads his words to parents or others, a check is added under the word. Then the next week, this list is read and another list is stapled onto the booklet. By the end of the semester, each list had multiple checks and the students knows the words.
I like the quick writes before or after the lesson.