Monday, March 28, 2011

module # 3

One thing from reading chapter 7 made me more aware that children growing up in poverty have a limited amout of vocabulary, which influences their reading comprehension. The second thing I gleemed from the book was that the "lack of vocabulary can be crucial factor underling the school failure of disadvantage students" (p. 141) With this knowledge, I will have students write new words down, that they come across during their readings in the back of their journals, so that when they write they can use these new words in their daily writings. Doing this activity will build vocabulay as well as reading comprehension skills. One of the before strategies that I would use is sensory webs to enhance children's writing speaking, and comprehension skills "The lines leading from the words outward provide places for students to fill in what the words smells like, taste like, looks like, soundslike, and feels like" ( p. 147). The third thing I gleemed from this chapter was an example given in the text is "anger smells like hot burning coals, taste likes dry sand burning in the desert, looks like shattered glass on the pavement, sounds like fingernails screeching on the blackboard, and feels like a cold wind" (p. 147).

2 comments:

  1. Teachers need to create active, engaging and motivating experiences so the students learn. The teachers must take the time to prepare and implement the planned curriculum. It is their jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with Dr. Swansons response."Teachers do need to create activies that are engaging and motivating for each and every student to learn. I will and plan on continuing to prepare and implement new research in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.