I watched the video on the Reading Rockets web site. I read the Building blocks of reading and writing booklet. It gave good suggestions about how print awareness and spoken words can be broken down, and it talked about alphabetic knowledge. It suggested that reading aloud to children at home helps build their word recognition. Another resource if you need one to prove that reading to children at home and aloud does help improve reading comprehension. Ya! Ya!
I read aloud to my 7 year old at night and we enjoy our time together.
The more reading a person does to and with a child, the more the child is developing her listening and oral vocabulary. Then when that word is found in her reading vocabulary, she already knows the word. Wow!!! that is exciting. I saw that when I took my grandson to the Tulsa aquarium. He was in kindergarten and as I was reading the information to him, he started reading it to me. His eyes sparkled and he was so enthusiastic. He said that he petted the stingrays before and his dad has talked about the tail. Thus, he read most of that passage himself because he had prior knowledge and a strong listening and oral vocabulary. WOW!!!!!
ReplyDelete