Monday, April 4, 2011
More on Module 6
One important thing I gleaned from reading the chapter 12 was that researces felt the same way as I do about kindergarten programs that, "immerse children in books, stories, and opportunities to engage in writing activities of various sorts (both inventive and more structured) significantly fostered growth in emergent literacy development" (p.272). Another important thing I gleaned from reading the chapter 12 was that (Pinnell et al., 1994), state "Reading Recovery is also, perhaps, the best research tutorial and one with the strongest evidence of its effect on accelerating the development of early reading. (p. 277). From the article Dyslexia and the brain: "What does current research tell us? state, " Children with dyslexia will often show two obvious difficulties when asked to read text." 1. "First they will not be able to read as many of the words in a text by sight as average readers. 2. They will often show decoding difficulties, meaning that their attempts to identify words they do not know will produce many errors" (p.508).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
One of the strategies that I use for children with dyslexia would be sketch to strech and another one would include flip covers.
ReplyDeleteHow I emplimented flip covers in my classroom is by having students get in groups of three with their flip cover already made and do as it states. On the first section they have look,say,cover,see. On the second section they write, check, and on the third section they rewrite. This strategy is used during spelling activites. I write words on the board and each child is to check to see if students in their group has writen the words correctly.
How I emplimented scetch to stretch in my classroom was before I read to students I would have them draw a picture of what they thought the story was going to be about by me reading the name and the first three pages of the story. I would also stop half way through the book and have them predict and draw things they thought would be at the end of the book.
The effects of these strategies that were used in my classroom was that it modivated students to learn spelling words. It also modivates students to listen to the stories that are read orally to them.
The strategies which are multi-modal are great for all students. When we ask the students to draw, think, draw, and rethink, then we are asking students to read with critical minds. I hope you will look over the strategies you have not had the opportunity to use yet and you them sometime in your school life. All of the suggested strategies have a purpose and each can benefit someone.
ReplyDelete